A Little Upcycling

>> Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Hey everyone, Cindy here with a simple layout showcasing the use of negative space from a sheet of chipboard. Since I print from home, I tend to have an excessive amount of random photos laying around. To keep my pile from growing, I give most of the extras to my daughter for her own scrapbook projects. But there are always a few I love so much I couldn't resist using them again on a layout.


I wanted to create a frame within a frame on this layout. Used my sewing machine to create a stitched border on the polka dot background and framed a variety of photos behind the open spaces of the chipboard.

Then the fun part, embellishing each open space with layered elements using punches, brads, buttons & jewels. Adding the embellished journaling card and flower accent gave the page that extra burst of texture, dimension and balance I was looking for. I love how the black & white photos mixed with color photos flows with the color palette.
So, instead of throwing away your leftover packaging items that normally aren't meant to be used on a layout or project, step out of your comfort zone. Keep them & use them. CHEERS!






Lily Bee supplies:

Patterned Paper:
Lemon-Memorandum
9 to 5-Memorandum
Whiteboard-Memorandum
Cottage Garden-Picket Fence
Stroll-Happily Lost

Mixed Cardstock Stickers:

Happily Lost
Christmas Town
Head Over Heels

ABC Stickers:

This & That

Index Journaling Cards:

Memorandum

Chipboard Stickers:
Domestic Bliss

Other:
Maya Road white flower, stickpin & chipboard pendants, flower punch, circle punches, buttons, pearls
, machine stitching




16 comments:

Emily D. October 11, 2011 at 2:11 AM  

This is really really cute!!! I love this idea!!!

MichelleB October 11, 2011 at 3:23 AM  

Great idea! Love how this came out!

~amy~ October 11, 2011 at 5:09 AM  

FABulous idea...looks wonderful!

Jenni October 11, 2011 at 5:29 AM  

oh my goodness i am crazy over this

Julie Tucker-Wolek October 11, 2011 at 5:35 AM  

Ohhhhhhhhh I loveeeeeeeeee this idea!!! I need to try that!! BEAUTIFUL lo! :):):):):):):):):):):)

Cynthia Baldwin October 11, 2011 at 7:59 AM  

So pretty! The chipboard sheet even has a grid design to it. Very cute!

Unknown October 11, 2011 at 10:15 AM  

What a great idea, Cindy! This is so beautiful. Now, off to find me a chipboard leftover frame... :)

Barb October 11, 2011 at 10:31 AM  

LOVE this idea, Cindy! What a great project!

(And Linda, my question to you is this... are you actually going to USE the chipboard embellishments before using the frame?! The problem with simple design and/or minimalistic scrapping is that... well, there are never any completely empty frames, right? ;))

Katja October 11, 2011 at 4:30 PM  

What a fantastic idea! I will have to scrap lift this :))

angie gutshall October 11, 2011 at 7:39 PM  

This is such a fabulous layout!!

georgia keays October 12, 2011 at 6:58 AM  

this is awesome Cindy, I love, love, love it!

Unknown October 12, 2011 at 12:02 PM  

Barb! You are too funny. I'd just punch out the elements and save them for another project. With the paper backing, of course. ;)

Ursula Schneider October 14, 2011 at 12:27 AM  

Love this idea! I've been wanting to try it forever but haven't gotten around to it! Need to!

Johanna October 14, 2011 at 6:32 AM  

Wow, this is really beautiful!

Post a Comment