Day 9 - Teacher's Holiday GIft

>> Friday, December 9, 2011

I always to love to spoil my kid's teachers this time of year with some sweet treats and a gift card to their favorite place, but being a scrapbooker, I can't just give a plain old gift card! So I've come up with an easy gift card holder that you can attach to a mug, a plant, a plate of cookies, or whatever you might want to give your favorite teacher!

Gift Card Holders by Lisa Dickinson
Lily Bee Supplies:
     Jingle Patterned Papers: Peppermint, Garland, Tinsel, Mistletoe
     Jingle Stickers


Here's a step-by-step to create these card holders:

1. Cut a strip of patterned paper 2.75" x 6.25".  Score at the 4" line and fold.

2.  Cut another piece of paper to 2.75" x 4" and adhere it behind the flap you just folded. (Technically, this step isn't necessary if you're using 2-sided patterned paper, but I like to add the extra layer of paper to give the holder a bit more weight.)

3.  Stitch around all four sides of the card which will create a pocket from the folded flap.

4.  Round the top corners of your card holder.  Then use a die-cut machine or punch to make snowflakes to adorn your card holders. Christmas trees, stars, or snowmen would also be cute!

5.  Layer your die-cut shape with a sticker on the non-pocket side of your card.  I adhered mine using foam adhesive to give it some dimension.

6.  Punch a hole in the top edge, add some twine, and slide your gift card into the pocket!

7.  Attach your tag to any assortment of small gifts - a coffee mug, a stack of notepads, or a bundle of new pens.  And wish your teacher a very happy holiday!

BUT HERE'S THE BEST PART!  To make your holidays a little happier, too, we're giving away a Jingle Collection set to one lucky reader!  Just leave a comment on this post before Monday, December 12, at 12 noon (PST.)  We'll drawn one name as a winner and post their name on the blog that day.

Happy Scrapping (and holidays, too!)




44 comments:

Anonymous,  December 9, 2011 at 6:24 AM  

Beautiful collection and beautiful project!!

Celeste B.,  December 9, 2011 at 6:29 AM  

What cute gift tag holders. They would be fun hung on a Christmas tree too.

Margie,  December 9, 2011 at 7:22 AM  

What a great way to give a gift card!! Awesome teacher gift!!

Lindy,  December 9, 2011 at 7:26 AM  

Super cute gift tag holder! t4s

Miriam Prantner,  December 9, 2011 at 7:47 AM  

These little gift card holders are just darling. I love the stitching! Lovely!

Jingle,  December 9, 2011 at 7:52 AM  

These are really adorable! I SO want this collection!!!!

{VICKI},  December 9, 2011 at 8:29 AM  

I think gift cards are the best teacher gifts
but what is your secret to finding out their favorite place?

Mel,  December 9, 2011 at 8:59 AM  

I come from a family of teachers, and really, they love the gift cards (way more than a bunch of tacky apple gifts!)

Ryann,  December 9, 2011 at 9:06 AM  

I love dressing up my gift cards. I'll have to try out this tutorial - it's great and they turned out really cute!!

Sandi,  December 9, 2011 at 9:48 AM  

What a cute idea! Love it.

Victoria ,  December 9, 2011 at 10:43 AM  

Cute gift tags, and what a cute collection to win!
Thanks,
Vicki

Mrs. Weddle,  December 9, 2011 at 11:07 AM  

my dd just started kindergarden and i have been looking for a cool gift to give her teacher .... this one has one hands down! now i just need to get some of this paper.

Kris Berc,  December 9, 2011 at 11:56 AM  

These are wonderful! I really love the extra interest that the stitching adds. I must try this! Thank you for the instructions :)

Kathy Skou,  December 9, 2011 at 11:59 AM  

I am def. lifting this idea!!!! tfs!

Karen,  December 9, 2011 at 12:57 PM  

I will be making some of these for family members. I find teens hard to buy for and often do gift cards so they will be receiving a card in one of these!! Very cute!!

connie,  December 9, 2011 at 1:01 PM  

cute and easy gift tags!

laury55,  December 9, 2011 at 1:23 PM  

love the idea and the paper are wonderful

The Savvy Scrapbooker,  December 9, 2011 at 2:52 PM  

Woohoo! Thanks for the chance to win (and all of the lovely projects you've showcased this month!)

Kristen S,  December 9, 2011 at 3:29 PM  

Love these- adorable. Makes me want to use that sewing machine!

Renee M,  December 9, 2011 at 3:37 PM  

These are so cute! I was just thinking about teacher gifts today :)

Unknown,  December 9, 2011 at 7:25 PM  

Great idea! Thanks for sharing! Thanks for the chance to win the collection too!

Brittany,  December 9, 2011 at 8:57 PM  

Love this collection--and the gift card holder idea! Thanks!

rush,  December 9, 2011 at 9:07 PM  

very cute project. thank you for sharing. rush88888 at gmail dot com

Julie Tucker-Wolek,  December 9, 2011 at 9:15 PM  

Wowwwwwwwwwww! These are GORGEOUS! I love love love them!! Thanks for sharing how you made them! :):):):):):):):):):):)

ruth,  December 10, 2011 at 6:11 AM  

Those are adorable little giftcard holders/tags! What a great way to use up my scraps too.

Plus I'm thinking that I can tuck some fun journaling cards in some for my December Daily.

Thanks!

Anonymous,  December 10, 2011 at 6:23 AM  

Great tags!! Lucky teachers ;)
Thanks for the chance to win!

Chris Dring,  December 10, 2011 at 8:18 AM  

What a super cute gift idea! Thanks for sharing and for the chance to win!

mimisimon,  December 10, 2011 at 8:51 AM  

You always have excellent ideas!

Jessica Carter,  December 10, 2011 at 9:10 AM  

What a great idea......I was going to start working on the teacher's gifts today, and I think I'll be using this idea!

Cynthia Baldwin,  December 10, 2011 at 8:27 PM  

I've been lucky enough to win recently on this blog, so you don't need to count this for the prize...I just wanted to thank you for this cute GC holder idea! The sewing gives this a nice handmade touch, which is great since I sometimes feel a GC is a little impersonal. Thanks for the idea!

Lily,  December 11, 2011 at 4:16 AM  

Great idea! They're very pretty!!!

Kathy W,  December 11, 2011 at 4:21 AM  

These are great gift card tags! Thanks for the inspiration.

Lil,  December 11, 2011 at 7:39 AM  

Lovely gift tags!! I love that you stitched them!!

Cerise,  December 11, 2011 at 2:45 PM  

They're adorable!! Thanks for the chance to win!!

Brenda Brehm,  December 11, 2011 at 4:09 PM  

Love Lily Bee. Love the ideas and especially the beautiful paper. Merry Christmas

Mary Staveness,  December 11, 2011 at 4:39 PM  

I can't wait to make some of these gift card holders! Love the paper designs!

LauraLee,  December 11, 2011 at 9:57 PM  

These are way too adorable! Thanks for the tutorial and a chance to win the Jingle collection!

Post a Comment