Day 8: A Do-It-Yourself Christmas Tree

>> Thursday, December 8, 2011

I am constantly inspired by all that I see on Pinterest, and when I saw this Christmas tree made from recycled wood, I knew I could put my own spin on it using the gorgeous Jingle collection.

Here is what I made.




When I showed the project to my husband, he thought the cedar shims he had in the basement would be perfect. Sure enough, 5 minutes later he had snapped the pieces into the shape of a tree.

First I sprayed each piece of wood with Glimmer Mist, in essence "staining" each piece. As it dried I cut strips of paper to fit each piece and inked the edges with chalk ink. Then using Glitter Mod Podge (AKA my newest obsession), I attached each piece to the wood. Finally I used Elmer's Wood Glue to attach the pieces to one center wooden piece.

Here is a view from the back. I am going to hang it using one of those 3-M strips. It's super light!



Here are a few close-ups:

See how shimmery the Mod Podge is? I covered this chipboard piece with patterned paper.



I liked the rough edges of the wood, so I tore the end of the paper to match the feel of the rough wood.






And again, the final product.



Products Used:

Jingle Mistletoe
Jingle Merry & Bright
Jingle Peppermint
Jingle Tinsel
Jingle Frost
Jingle ABC Stickers

6 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek December 8, 2011 at 5:46 AM  

This is AWESOME!!! I loveeeeeeeeeeeee it!! LOVING all that glitter too! :):):):):):):):):):):)

rush December 8, 2011 at 9:46 AM  

nice project. thank you for sharing. rush88888 at gmail dot com

Unknown December 8, 2011 at 11:00 AM  

Goodness! This is so creative!

Jody Spiegelhoff December 9, 2011 at 9:28 AM  

Mod Podge has a glitter variety!!?? Cool. I know what I'm using my Hobby Lobby coupon on :-) Your tree is awesome!

Post a Comment