Starry, Starry Night

>> Friday, October 7, 2011

Quilts speak "autumn" to me. I love the look of a comfy, bright, patchwork quilt. I wanted to bring that style into a small area I'm decorating for fall in my bedroom, and I pulled out the new "Harvest Splendor" line from Lily Bee to make some quilted stars. 

Start off by drawing a basic star shape. It does NOT have to be perfect, as a matter of fact, it's even better if it's  not. 

I drew two, one slightly taller and one slightly wider. 

Then cut them apart, but keep them lined up right in order to keep yourself from getting confused. I drew numbers on all the pieces of each star so that I knew which pieces went to which one just in case they got mixed up. 
 Then trace each piece on to various pieces of patterned paper. This is the most time consuming part; settle in with a good tv show on in the background and you're good to go!

 As I did the pieces to each star, I laid them out together on the table to make sure I was keeping everything in order and that I liked the order of patterns & colors. This would also be great to do with the 6x6 pads (but I really liked how the larger patterns looked on these).


Ink all the edges with black ink and an ink dauber. Be careful to not leave it sitting out while you hop up for a minute, because someone might think it's "makeup." Ahem. 

Adhere all the inked pieces down to a piece of kraft cardstock. I left a small amount of space in between each piece. 

Cut the stars out. I alternated between pinking shears and regular scissors. Then punch a hole at the top of each star, and string twine through them. 

Hang from a strip of burlap with tiny clothespins, and enjoy! 




Lily Bee supplies:

Patterned Paper:
Peach Crisp-Harvest Market
Black Licorice-Harvest Market
Turtleneck-Harvest Market
Hayride- Harvest Market
Pumpkin Seeds- Harvest Market
Squash- Harvest Market


Other:
cardstock, scissors, twine, burlap, black ink

6 comments:

Unknown October 7, 2011 at 11:05 AM  

I so totally love this! And the makeup... Hahahahah! Uh, we've had that happen around here too. And I only have boys!

Julie Tucker-Wolek October 7, 2011 at 4:00 PM  

Wowwwwwwwww! This is AWESOME! I loveeeeeee it!! Totally gonna try this out! And that photo is PRECIOUS! :):):):):):):):):):)

Kay October 9, 2011 at 8:39 PM  

Oh. My. Heck. This is AWESOME!!! And your dd is ADORABLE!

Unknown October 10, 2011 at 1:14 PM  

these are totally adorable & inspiring Virginia :)

Ronda Palazzari October 12, 2011 at 5:36 PM  

So super cute & inspiring! The photo cracks me up!

Post a Comment