Day 4 - Creating a Poinsettia Ornament

>> Sunday, December 4, 2011





Hello Everyone.  Hope you are enjoying these days of inspiration from the Lily Bee Design Team.  It's my day to share with you a simple ornament you can make to adorn any tree.


I am using a 4 inch bottle cap as my base.  Trace around your favorite Jingle patterned paper for the center of the cap.  I am using the 6 x 6 Jingle Tiny Tablet since the patterns are smaller & the right feel for the bottle cap.  I also cut a smaller circle of another Jingle patterned paper to layer on top of this one.  I distressed the bottle cap with alcohol inks to give it that vintage feel.


Now let's build the poinsettia. This is one of my favorite Christmas flowers to make.  I created this flower technique years ago & still love how it looks.  First cut three 1 inch by 3 inch strips of patterned paper. 


Fold the strips in half lengthwise and in half again from top to bottom.  Using your scissors, cut in an arc from the outside to the fold part. This makes the point of the poinsettia.


Unfold the pattern paper and you get a “squashed”  oval.  Now fold this oval in half top down, you will see the backside of the pattern paper.  Fold one side towards the top.  Flip it over and do the other side. 


Fold in half again. Now holding the center, run your finger under the pattern paper to pop it out.


I like to use a plain glue stick and glue the “leaves” together.  Pinch & hold each leave together.


Next punch a 1.5 inch circle from the same patterned paper.  Using a strong glue, adhere all three leaves done to the center of the circle.  You can add a button center to your poinsettia to accent the flower.


Lily Bee Supplies
Jingle 6 x6 Tiny Tablet Papers
specifically:  Eggnog & Garland

18 comments:

Izzy Anderson December 4, 2011 at 8:24 AM  

Beautiful! I want to try that technique.

Melinda December 4, 2011 at 11:09 AM  

Love it! I'll have to try it sometime this week or weekend! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown December 4, 2011 at 11:21 AM  

So cute! Love this flower.

Melissa December 4, 2011 at 11:50 AM  

Oh I love this Ronda! Another hand made flower to add to my arsenal. :)

Ryann December 4, 2011 at 12:25 PM  

Love this! Awesome tutorial!

Ann December 4, 2011 at 1:06 PM  

Cute project, and love the Jingle paper she used. Thanks for sharing.

Beatrice Lawson December 4, 2011 at 2:56 PM  

I'm curious what glue you used - I have been having a hard time with finding a strong glue that woudl work on this kind of project!! Thanks.

Ronda Palazzari December 4, 2011 at 3:48 PM  

Helmar's Craft glue or Helmar's 450. Both of are my favorite and hold extremely well.

Cynthia Baldwin December 4, 2011 at 3:57 PM  

I love handmade paper flowers. Thanks for the tutorial!

Lynn December 4, 2011 at 5:24 PM  

That flower is amazing! Must try it.

rush December 4, 2011 at 10:33 PM  

super fun ornament. thank you for sharing.

Lindy December 5, 2011 at 9:22 AM  

Oh my; what a gorgeous poinsettia ornament. I think I'll have to try this!!! Thanks for the tutorial!

LauraLee December 5, 2011 at 11:33 AM  

Yay!! Another great flower to add to my collection. Thanks for sharing this really cool ornament!

Julie Tucker-Wolek December 5, 2011 at 7:11 PM  

This is AMAZING!! I loveeeeee how you put that flower together!!! :):):):):):):):):):):)

LauraLee December 5, 2011 at 11:08 PM  

I tried it!! Mine didn't turn out as well the first try. I glued them to close so I would have needed 4 for them to touch...so I had to open them up a bit more. I just love it! Now I want that wooden looking button! Where did you get it?

Brenda Lapp December 7, 2011 at 12:40 PM  

Stunning. I love the flower.

Post a Comment