An Oldie but a Goodie

>> Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Now that both kids are in school, I really have the holidays on my mind. Every year I want to create homemade items and every year I run out of time. I decided this year, that I am going to make one item a week through mid November. I'm really excited to be doing it, too.

I started this week and my first project was making flower bows for the neighborhood cookie boxes we hand out. I love these and they really make a big impression. These bows are quick and simple to make.

1. I am using one yard of May Arts 1.5" grosgrain ribbon because I wanted a fatter flower. You will need floss and a floss needle, as well.

2. Using several strands of floss to ensure the stitch is strong, run a stitch along one side of the ribbon. The stitch can be large and imperfect. You will not see it once the flower is created.

3. Once your stitch is complete, start pulling the ribbon down on both ends to pleat it. Don't pull so hard you break your string. The ribbon should slide nicely down.

4. Once the ribbon is scrunched together to make the flower, tie off your ends and cut your excess string.

5. You can adjust your flower once it's tied and it should look a bit like this.

6. Next I grabbed three large sized flower punches and some of the new Catching Fall and Christmas Town papers.

7. Punch out the three flowers and ink the edges.

8. Crumple the flowers in your palm being careful not to rip them.

9. Now layer everything together topping it off with the Christmas Town Chipboard and a crystal. To adhere the paper flowers to the ribbon flower, you will need a strong wet adhesive. I highly recommend Helmar's Quick Dry 450. It dries quickly and it holds very well!

10. Using the same ribbon, I wrapped a package with wrinkled kraft paper (I like things messy) to show you what your flower bow will look like when it is packaged all pretty and ready to be given away.

Thanks for stopping by to read this tutorial. I hope you found it interesting.

Have a wonderful day!

11 comments:

Anonymous,  September 1, 2010 at 12:32 PM  

So cute Lori! What a good idea!

Virginia September 1, 2010 at 12:37 PM  

Gorgeous- I love the contrast in colors!

beckyjune September 1, 2010 at 2:10 PM  

Such a pretty decoration for a package.

BethW September 1, 2010 at 3:31 PM  

Love it-oldies (like myself) are always goodies!

Brenda Hurd September 1, 2010 at 8:16 PM  

WoW Lori - thanks for the Tut - LOVE the bow!

Jill September 2, 2010 at 12:02 AM  

Oh my goodness -- this is JUST what I needed to see! Thanks!

Chris C September 2, 2010 at 8:27 AM  

Lori - this is fabulous!! Your tutorials always are so inspiring.

PinkPug,INK. September 2, 2010 at 2:10 PM  

Great idea! This looks beautiful!

Post a Comment