Sketch Challenge #3 (plus challenge #2 winner!)

>> Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Happy Wednesday! As I was working on a layout for today, I realized that I was about to do another grid page. Not that there's anything wrong with grid layouts. Actually, I use grids on most of my pages. But you don't really need me to draw a grid for you. You know how to do that on your own.

Here's the scoop. I wanted to document my 365 project from last year. I have scrapped some individual photos, but I also want group the photos together somehow.  Of course, having 30-31 (and sometimes 28-29) photos on a page is quite a bit. But if you reduce the size, you could do it. A page a month could be a doable thing. Which is why I was thinking of the grid.

And since I could use a challenge myself, I said, "Self, stop with the measuring madness, throw out the rulers, and go wild." Well. Wild for me, that is. Not exactly wild for most people.

I took a basic grid, filled with photos in a semi-random way, and filled the spaces in between with bits of patterned paper. The space between the photos are not even, but that's okay! I added a little stitching, a few punched pieces, a little letter sticker, and wham, one month is done!

Lily Bee Supplies:
Patterned Papers: Memorandum-Boardroom, 9 to 5, Whiteboard, Time Clock, Payday, Cubicle

Mini Pads: Memorandum
ABC Stickers: Memorandum, Picket Fence
other: thread, punches

Of course you don't want to be cutting 31 teeny pictures out (these are 1.5" x 1"). So I opened a blank page in my photo editing tool, and dragged my teeny photos into it, somewhat randomly. Then I added the journaling, and printed the entire page as one 8.5" x 11" photo at home. Pretty dang simple, eh?


Your challenge, should you choose to accept, is to scrap a bunch of teeny photos in a demi-grid. Try to use as many photos as possible. In any configuration. This sketch is only a guide, and obviously not my final product.

For photos, think not only 365 project photos, but those cellphone photos, which really are best tiny. These pages are great for a quick glance at a bunch of pictures you might not necessarily want to scrap in detail. Think of the possibilities!

The not-so-fine print for the challenge:
1) Use at least two Lily Bee products (any two).
2) Post your layout on our Facebook page (please include the title Lily Bee Sketch Challenge 3) -OR- include a link to your project in the comments of this post. Please do one or the other, not both.
3) The deadline is Tuesday November 15th, 9PM EDT.  We'll randomly pick one winner to receive some delicious Lily Bee products!

And now, the winner of Sketch Challenge 2. Drum roll, please!

Marielle LaForge-LeBlanc, come one down! Woohooo!
Thanks for participating. Please email me your mailing info, milesofpaper [at] gmail [dot] com.

10 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek November 2, 2011 at 5:52 AM  

Loveeeeeeeeeeee the new sketch and your take on it!! And CONGRATS to Marielle!! GORGEOUS lo! :):):):):):):):):):):)

Julie Aldridge November 2, 2011 at 8:20 AM  

Oh, this is great! I've been wanting to do a tiny grid layout for a while. Perhaps this will motivate me to do so!

Marissa Walker,  November 2, 2011 at 11:35 AM  

I want the Jingle line!!! Love it!!!!!!

Marielle November 2, 2011 at 2:10 PM  

woot !! woot!! I am so happy !! thank you Lily Bee Designs !!!

my paper love studio November 3, 2011 at 3:18 AM  

gorgeous layout Linda - I've gotta try that trick with photoshop.

& a big congrats Marielle. your layout is gorgeous!

Katja Schneider November 4, 2011 at 1:10 AM  

Fantastic sketch, I'm going to give the little pics a go :)

Louise November 15, 2011 at 7:58 AM  

I was inspired by this sketch so much that I had to order some Memorandum to do it. I have my photos and know exactly what I want to do with it in my head. Unfortunately the product is not here yet and the deadline is today. :(

Anonymous,  November 15, 2011 at 9:17 AM  

I absolutely love this sketch! Grids are so fabulous, and I will most likely use the sketch again, but for this time, I actually didn't use photos at all-- I used vintage GI Joe stickers, haha! Who would have thought?! Here's the layout:
http://vegetablog.wordpress.com/2011/11/15/gi-joe/

~Natalie

Cynthia Baldwin November 15, 2011 at 5:51 PM  

Here's my take on the sketch:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47273565@N06/6349171760/


My daughter has all these photos in her Girl Scouts photobook already, so these were perfect to scrap tiny...also had to get creative w/ the photo grid - I'm photo-editing-challenged, so I made a photo collage with Picasa instead.
Thanks for the challenge!

Louise November 15, 2011 at 7:10 PM  

I hope I'm not too late, I just got this product today and rushed to finish this on time.
http://www.memorableseasons.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=10934&ppuser=2795

Post a Comment