Studio Peek: Julia Stainton

>> Thursday, April 14, 2011

I must confess that I'm nosy and love checking out other people's scrap spaces. So I confess, yes, I did want to start this feature here on the Lily Bee blog just so I could see what my teammates' spaces are like. But I hope you are with me, and that you are just as happy to see them.


Today, we are visiting Julia Stainton's space. Julia is a master stamper, cardmaker, and scrapbooker. And if that wasn't enough, she is also the designer of our new line Picket Fence! Phew. Did I mention she has five kids? Her blog, Belle Papier, is fab and always filled with great projects.

Onto what you are waiting for. 




Tell us about your scrap room:
I love my little scrap room. It’s not very big and is actually much smaller than it looks in the photos. The space is about 8’x8’ and I’ve used every single inch of it. I’ve only had my own craft room for just over a year. Crafting in a corner of the family room was not working at all and so my hubby built this small room for me in the basement when we added on a small addition to the house. The window is a southern exposure and there is infloor heating so it really doesn’t seem like I’m in the basement at all.

To get the most out of every bit of this small space, I started off by designing a floor plan to fit my needs. I work at the desk and have lots of tools within easy access. I love stamping and inking paper and my ink pads are really handy on some storage shelves above. The Clip-it-ups are perfect for holding stamps and embellishments to my left so that I can see them and use them.  Most of my paper and other supplies are stored on the opposite wall with the counter. The counter is great for sorting product on as well as die cutting. This little room may be small but I love every single inch of it. It’s my happy place.

What is your favorite "go to" technique when putting together a layout or card?
I’ve been sewing longer than I’ve been paper crafting so stitching must be my “go to” technique. Sewing is so natural to me that I don’t even think of it as a technique and took me a while to think of it. This question was set aside to think about until I passed my sewing machine and thought about how I never ever put it away. I love how stitching can be subtle or bold and really adds beautiful texture to a project.


What were your inspirations for the Picket Fence collection?
The Picket Fence line was inspired by that wonderful feeling of freedom you get from being outdoors in spring and summer. I’m Canadian and winters are oh so long. I love getting outside after a long winter when even the dirt smells good. Picket Fence is inspired by the feeling of sunshine warmth as I garden and the wind on my face when out on the lake. Simple pleasures.

Do you use all those amazing cards you create? Or are they neatly filed away?
As I create a LOT of cards, no, I don’t use them all. My cards make their way to many different places. Some are published, some mailed out to family and friends, some are sold on-line or at a local shop, some are filed away for the future and I donate quite a few.

Dream travel destination: Hawaii
Superhero power: Is there a superhero power that magically cleans at the snap of your fingers? With five kids at home, I could really make good use of that power!
Favorite food: Chocolate!
Favorite color combo: Aqua and Green
Perfect weekend: a night away with my hubby and a day on the water

And Julia sketched a floor plan for us!


Julia's lovely children, ranging from 5 to 20 years old.


And her favorite Lily Bee layout (which she loves because it holds a list of all her dreams!)


Thanks Julia for sharing your space with us! 


Hope you've enjoyed this visit. Y'all have a great weekend!

11 comments:

Jill April 15, 2011 at 12:20 AM  

WOW!
(1) I have space envy.
(2) I LOVE that layout!

~amy~ April 15, 2011 at 5:34 AM  

wowza....fabulous work space Julia!!!!! Your kids are simply gorgeous and I LOVE that layout!

Anonymous,  April 15, 2011 at 6:08 AM  

i love love how beautiful & organized your space is Julia...just amazing! i never knew you had 5 kids either, you are busy..beautiful family :) TFS :)

kathie deluca April 15, 2011 at 6:27 AM  

you inspire me to be neater...<3

Cris Cunningham April 15, 2011 at 6:58 AM  

This was wonderful! Thank you for sharing your space with us Julia (and for adding a sketch also!)

AJ April 15, 2011 at 8:23 AM  

holy cow- one, Awesome space.
2- five kids and you are rockin' the pubs still!
3-you simply are NOT old enough for a 20 year old!! ;)

Unknown April 15, 2011 at 9:31 AM  

Thanks ladies! And yes AJ... I've been married for almost 22 years so I am old enough. :)

georgia keays April 15, 2011 at 11:05 PM  

Oh wow Julia, your scrap room is gorgeous! please tell me it isn't always that clean though lol... and what a beautiful family too...

Anonymous,  April 16, 2011 at 10:21 AM  

beautiful family, beautiful paper line, beautiful scrap room, and you are beautiful too! Lucky woman you!! :)

Cathy April 17, 2011 at 4:35 PM  

What a wonderful space. I love the design of it and of her favorite layout too!

my paper love studio April 17, 2011 at 10:56 PM  

oh my!!! i just adore your craft room. if there's one thing i could wish for, it would be to have a craft room like yours!!!

Post a Comment