Sweet Home Banner Tutorial

>> Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I am in love with the banner trend. I just can't get enough. With Spring on it's way I thought I'd hurry things along and add a fun touch of spring with a banner for my home. Keep reading and I'll show you how I created it.


You'll need some supplies to get started. I've used the new Picket Fence line from Lily Bee Design. It's perfect for Spring & Summer. You can create a banner by creating your own template but I love shortcuts and here I've used a Maya Road chipboard book. Just unclip the metal rings and spread it out and you are good to go. It's not the traditional triangular style banner but I think the unique look is pretty fun.


Lily Bee Supplies Used:

Picket Fence Pattern Paper - Veranda, Cottage Garden, Porch Swing, Fresh Air
Hello Sunshine Chipboard Stickers
Domestic Bliss Rub-ons


Covering the chipboard with the patterned paper will take the most time in this project. Use a liquid adhesive to adhere to the chipboard and then sand away the edges. You can use sandpaper but a small metal file will work great for sanding the tiny notches and details.


Next, stitch the chipboard if you have a sewing machine. Yes. You CAN stitch chipboard and it looks great.


Decide on the word you're going to spell on your banner. I've chosen home and have cut it out with my Silhouette Digital Craft Cutter from Kraft cardstock. If you don't own one, trace some letters or use some purchased chipboard letters. The rub-ons from the Lily Bee Domestic Bliss line work perfectly with my theme.


To add detail to one of the pennants I've covered a little chipboard house in more Picket Fence patterned paper.


It's easy to create your own die cut flowers to coordinate with the project. I love mixing two prints together.


Crumple the petals up in your hand for dimension, arrange them and staple together.


Finish off with some fabric leaves, a button and a Lily Bee chipboard piece.


Add other embellishments throughout your project until you feel that it is finished.


Binding tape or ribbon works great for stringing your banner together. A needle makes it super easy to thread through the holes.

Here's a closeup...


And one more...


Feel free to click on the photos to enlarge them for better detail.


Take some time and paper craft for your home. You'll love being able to see your creative projects as you go about your daily life.

Happy creating!

9 comments:

Lacey Stephens March 2, 2011 at 6:13 AM  

This is a fabulous design. I was planning to make one for my new stamping room when we move in a few weeks - so this is great inspiration!! Thanks!
~Lacey

LisaDay March 2, 2011 at 6:19 AM  

WOW! This is the prettiest banner I've ever seen. I love how you did this!! I'm gonna have to make one for my home!

Virginia March 2, 2011 at 7:21 AM  

I really love that! That is so pretty!

Keri March 2, 2011 at 10:42 AM  

This is genius...love the shaping on the bottom using the chipboard album!!!

Jenni March 2, 2011 at 11:12 AM  

So so so gorgeous, julia. and perfect for spring!

georgia keays March 2, 2011 at 6:16 PM  

Oh wow, this is so gorgeous! So much detail, very inspiring :-)

Gail March 3, 2011 at 2:47 PM  

. . . absolutely adorable!

Lolly Jane March 11, 2011 at 11:21 AM  

We LOVE this! Featured HERE: http://lollyjaneboutique.blogspot.com/2011/03/lolly-loves-spring.html Thanks for sharing your creativity!

Post a Comment