Color is in the Air

>> Monday, October 4, 2010

Let's talk about colors for a quick minute. I want to teach you a trick for making your pictures really POP right off the page. After all, no matter how much stuff we use on our pages, the bottom line is that we all want our photos to be the star.

There are a bunch of embellishments on my page, but because of my color choices, my photo is the first thing the eye is drawn to. Only after the eye has landed on the photo, does it want to wander around the page and view all the stuff.

Instead of choosing a color from the photo, like blue, I chose a complimentary color, red, not in the photo. Had I chosen blue, the first thing you would see when looking at the photo is our clothing, not our faces. It would have taken a second for the eye to catch up and rest on our faces. Choosing a complimentary color, like red, sends the eye right to our faces instead of our clothes. It's a subtle trick and it's an effective one. And, because there is no blue near the photo, the photo glaringly obvious and is the first thing you see on the page. Cool and easy peasy trick, huh?

For the title, I played with the colors a bit and created a varied title. I like titles that have different sizes and fonts. They make me want to read them.

Because I used the brown alphabet in the title, I decided to bring it to the left and use it for my quote, as well. I, also, added it to the bottom of my photo. My gut told me I needed something to anchor the photo and that's why I did it. I liked the consistency with the brown color being in those three places.

Lastly, I did want to include blue on the page and to bring it in I made sure it wasn't too close to my photo and was subtle. I added it in with the banner at the top. I hand drew the lines around my page. I like to sew or outline my pages. I chose to draw the outline this time so that when I hung my banners it looked more realistic on a wavy line vs. a perfectly sewn line.

For this layout I used Lily Bee's Catching Fall paper, die cut, stickers and chipboard. Sigh. It's such a gorgeous collection! I mixed Catching Fall with Petaloo's new Fall flowers and glitter paper and Pink Paislee, My Little Shoebox, and Adornit alphabets.

Thanks for spending Monday with me. I hope my color trick was helpful.

9 comments:

Karen October 4, 2010 at 7:37 AM  

absolutely stunning lori. fantastic photo and incredible layout!

iris October 4, 2010 at 8:05 AM  

this is beautiful Lori!

Zarah October 4, 2010 at 8:14 AM  

That is absolutely GORGEOUS!

Em October 4, 2010 at 3:40 PM  

Beautiful LO and a great trick!!

Jenni October 5, 2010 at 11:04 AM  

love this layout lori!!!

Post a Comment