Mixed Media Heart Canvas

>> Tuesday, January 10, 2012

While looking at Pinterest at this project, I thought I would put my own little spin on and make a canvas using masking. I used a small 6x6 canvas and covered it with small 1x1 inch squares from the Lily Bee Head Over Heels 6x6 Paper Pad.


IMG_3454


After I mod-podged them down using glitter mod-podge, I used my Cricut to cut out a large heart. Using removable Glue Dots, I attached it to the canvas and painted over the front with white paint. You can faintly see the squares under the white paint. A really light coat, even slightly watered down, is what I would suggest.



IMG_3454


This is what you see when you pull off the heart. I also used bubble wrap and black ink to distress the corners a bit. I did that while the heart mask was still on the canvas.



IMG_3454


I didn't like the white edges of the canvas so I used decorative tape (two layers deep) to finish the edges.



IMG_3454


I also didn't like that the heart wasn't well-defined, so I put the heart back on and and used a thin black sharpie to outline it. I also doodled a bit on parts of the heart. Finally I added the words and the sticker to finish it off. I mod-podged a few more times to set everything.



IMG_3454


From the side



IMG_3454


A little close-up action



IMG_3454


Products Used:


Lily Bee Head Over Heels 6x6 paper


Lily Bee Head Over Heels Cardstock Stickers


Lily Bee Head ABC Cardstock Stickers


Kay

13 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek January 10, 2012 at 5:58 AM  

This is soooooooooooooo GORGEOUS Kay!!! Now I will be pinning yours and trying my luck at it! Thanks for the inspo!! :):):):):):):):):):):)

Kathy W January 10, 2012 at 6:14 AM  

Love this project. I am thinking of trying this technique on some cards. Thanks for the inspiration and the directions.

Unknown January 10, 2012 at 7:57 AM  

this is super cute Kay!!

beckyjune January 10, 2012 at 9:22 AM  

This is so cool! I really need to try one of these.

Anonymous,  January 10, 2012 at 11:15 AM  

This is fabulous!

Michelle L. January 11, 2012 at 12:41 AM  

this is fantastic and I think I like it even better than the original from pinterest! Thanks for the inspiration!

Melissa January 11, 2012 at 10:28 PM  

This is awesome! Would love to try this with a flower shape!

Ronda Palazzari January 12, 2012 at 12:02 AM  

Love it! Perfect & just in time for Valentine's day!

stephanie January 14, 2012 at 2:22 PM  

So happy to come across this! I just bought some canvases last week to make pictures for my daughters room but have had no idea what to do.. This may be just the sort of thing! :)

LauraLee January 24, 2012 at 7:03 AM  

I just love this Kay! There is a class online that I have been wanting to take that makes stuff like this ( I think it's at Big picture classes?)

Post a Comment