Summer Feet and Pretty Princesses

>> Saturday, July 3, 2010

Summertime, and the scrapping's easy...
especially with Lily Bee papers and coordinating accents!

As we await CHA and the new Lily Bee collections, I've been making the most of the summery colors in the Hello Sunshine and Lovely lines.

In this post, I'll share a few ways to use Lily Bee's chipboard flowers, beginning with...

Yes, those are my gnarly feet, but they're happy feet all the same, sunning themselves at the beach. I dare you to take a picture of your summer feet, and do as I did here -- journal about where your feet have been this summer.

To create the nearly-scalloped chipboard border, I cut a bunch of chipboard flowers in half, lined them up, varying their heights, and then sewed over them.

The chipboard flowers also came in handy in an unexpected way in this layout celebrating the May Day "royalty" in my family.

Wait, what chipboard? It's actually behind the scenes of this layout, responsible for the scalloped rosettes you see here.

I began by flipping over a Lily Bee scalloped chipboard flower and tracing around it.

I repeated this, and cut out the two new "flowers."

I overlapped the flowers, and then cut them into a single spiral, starting from the outside in and leaving a bit of a "hole" on the inside.
I then rolled the spiral from the inside to the outside, trying to keep the "bud" relatively tight as I rolled. I used a handy awl and then slipped off the flower once I was done rolling.

In order to prevent my rosette from unrolling, I used Helmar Quick Dry Adhesive to adhere the end of the spiral to the rest of the flower. This stuff really does dry quickly -- and it holds on the first try.
Once I had created a veritable garden of rosettes, I unfurled a few of the petals and dabbed on some red paint (I used Shimmerz Fire Engine red) so that the flowers would complement those in my daughter's lei po'o.
I used a bit more of the Helmar glue to adhere the rosettes to my layout, and ta da!

I will definitely be trying this again.

If you'd like to share with us how you've been putting your Lily Bee products to good use, we'd LOVE to see your ideas. Who knows? You just might be one of our Friday Faves, or, if you're up to the challenge, the September Lily Bee guest designer!



4 comments:

Tonya July 3, 2010 at 12:42 AM  

Super cute Jill! Trust me, those are not gnarly feet! I've seen much worse! Love your rosettes!

Zarah July 3, 2010 at 3:16 AM  

Oh my goodness... Those are absolutely, utterly, über AMAZING!

Lori Gentile July 3, 2010 at 9:15 AM  

JILL!!! This are both amazing!!! You.are.so.talented!!! Your feet are not gnarly. LOL!

Unknown July 3, 2010 at 6:58 PM  

Stunning layouts!!!! Wow, wow, wow!

Post a Comment